Proprietor's Policy Expertise
Conservation/Sustainability, land use, local government, organizing for municipal planning, forests and natural resources, earthtrepreneurial encouragement, alternative energy
Program development, implementation, and evaluation
- Teacher – Aspects of Sustainability; Land Use; U.S. African-American Migration; Global Social Justice; Political Sociology.
- Reconfigured Western Illinois University Environmental Summit with campus-wide committee. Renamed Prairie Lands Environmental Summit with added tracks on arts and humanities in rural community development (Arts on the Prairie Landscape) and teacher professional development.
- Coordinated approximately 130 multidisciplinary Sustainability Brownbaggers between 2006 and 2016; some recorded as webinars with speakers from throughout U.S. Became a Western Illinois University (WIU) General Honors seminar, Aspects of Sustainability, 2015 - 2016. Was foundation and capstone course for WIU Environmental Studies minor for several years.
- Helped with planning of statewide Conservation Congress for Illinois Department of Natural Resources, 2014.
- Chair, Prairie Land Conservancy
- Managed research on sustainable community land use and implementation of biomass facilities.
- Co-principle investigator, “Building Rural Libraries and Communities” LSTA grant for entrepreneurial resources for libraries through Illinois State Library.
- Facilitated citizens’ participatory research on land use and agricultural economic development, as well as federal community development project evaluation.
Social policy analysis
- Author, Selling the State: Kentucky’s Economic Development Policy, an IIRA monograph, 2015.
- Author, Reform and Reaction: Kentucky’s Education Policy, forthcoming.
- Testified before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Agriculture Subcommittee on Rural Development, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture on definitions of rural (2011) and rural entrepreneurship (2009) and Illinois House of Representatives Computer Technology Committee on broadband (2008).
- Created and implemented Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs occasional Rural Policy Brief series.
- Led creation of website to commemorate the centennial of Theodore Roosevelt’s Country Life Commission.